Care and Identification of Photographs
April 11-14, 2011: Los Angeles, CA - Care & ID Workshop
- 4-day workshop (9:00am-5pm each day)
- 240-page color notebook
- 60x LED handheld microscope
- OPTIONAL: Basic Photographic Sample Set
This 4-day workshop is an introduction to the history, identification, and preservation of photographic materials. Participants will acquire hands-on identification skills and learn practical photograph preservation techniques. Using handheld 60x microscopes and a large set of photographic and photomechanical samples, they will learn how a variety of processes were created, why they look the way they do, and how they deteriorate. Knowledge about photographic processes is essential to their preservation and leads to a greater appreciation of the aesthetics and history of photographic prints.
Preservation topics include enclosures, handling guidelines, environmental monitoring, the effects of temperature and relative humidity on collections, and the importance of cold storage for certain photographic materials.
Processes examined in detail include but are not limited to the following: daguerreotype, albumen, collodion and gelatin printing-out processes (POP), matte collodion, gelatin silver, photogravure, offset litho, letterpress halftone, collotype, chromogenic color, inkjet, and dye sublimation. Group ID sessions, using a digital microscope and screen projection, will allow participants to practice their identification skills in a guided setting.
A 240-page workshop notebook (printed in color) and a 60x handheld microscope w/LED light is given to every participant to take home. The Basic Photographic Sample Set, consisting of 18 identified photographic and photomechanical processes, is available at the time of registration for $75. The price for the Sample Set without workshop registration is $175.
The Academy of Certified Archivists (ACA), a certifying organization of professional archivists, will award 15 Archival Recertification Credits (ARCs) to eligible Certified Archivists (CAs) attending this workshop.
The American Society of Appraisers and the International Society of Appraisers will award 24 reaccreditation hours/professional development credits for qualified appraisers attending this workshop.
Workshop Cancellation Policy:
- Full Refund if requested up to 3 weeks before the workshop.
- 50% of the fee will be refunded if requested between 3 weeks and 1 week before the workshop.
- If the refund is requested more than 60 days after initial registration AND payment was via Paypal a $30 fee will apply due to Paypal policies.
- Cancellations made within one week will not result in a refund.
- Should the workshop be cancelled for any reason, full refunds will be made.